If your cat gets a bit frustrated being cooped up in doors when the weather gets cold, this could be the perfect DIY for you! Save your armchairs and sofas from getting scratched up, and distract your cat with this simple yet stylish DIY cat scratcher!
What you will need:
- A piece of 1″ thick wood, around 2 feet long
- ¼” thick sisal rope (or any other thick rope made from natural fibres)
- Neon coloured string
- Hot glue gun
- Electric drill
1. Cut your length of wood to size and shape that you want it if needs be, and make sure that the edges have been sanded down to remove splinters. However, if you want to save a bit of time and effort (and if you’re not too handy with a saw!), it’s best to buy a piece of wood in your desired size and shape.
2. Decide where you want the rope to start and end (leave at least a couple of inches at the top and at the bottom), and run a line of glue from the glue gun across the back of the board, and stick the rope along it, starting from the end.
3. Keep wrapping the rope around the board, sticking each length of the rope to the wood using a line of glue. Hot glue guns (as the name would suggest) can get rather hot so be careful not to burn yourself!
4. Once you’ve covered all the board in rope, you can add neon-coloured string at different intervals to give it a bit of a pop!
5. Now drill two holes at the top of the board (the bit before the string starts), so that you can hang it up on a wall. Make sure you don’t put the holes too close to the side of the board, or it can split.
6. Knot a piece of string or cord at one end and thread through both holes before knotting at the other end.
Et voila! A trendy cat scratcher that your moggy will love, and that you can hang proudly in your home! Have a go in various shapes and sizes, and maybe even try painting the wood a different colour to make this project truly personalised. Happy scratching!
Tutorial and all photos via Design Sponge.