There’s something about the combination of catnip and tuna that makes moggies go wild! This treat recipe from Joy the Baker is so simple to follow that your cat could do it!
Top tip: To make your cat’s coat extra shiny and healthy, substitute some of the olive oil with fish oil!
- 1 small can of tuna (no added salt)
- 1 cup oat flour (if you don’t happen to have any oat flour lying around, you can make it out of oats by using a spice grinder or a very clean coffee grinder)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tbsp dried catnip
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Put all the ingredients into a food processor and mix until they hold together to make a dough. If you don’t have a food processor handy, mix the flour and catnip in a bowl before adding the tuna. Then mix in the oil, and whisk the egg before adding.
3. Take ½ teaspoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball, and place it on the tray.
4. Once you’ve done this to the whole mixture, use a fork or toothpick to slightly flatten the treats so they cook more quickly.
5. Bake the treats for 10-12 minutes, and make sure they’ve completely cooled before your let your moggy tuck in!
These treats will keep for 7 days in an airtight container in the fridge. But if you don’t think that your cat’s going to eat them all in time, you can always put some of the unbaked treats in the freezer to cook at a later date.
Recipe and pictures from Joy the Baker